Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My System specs and speed review

A popular topic in the Linux world is how old of a computer can you run . So here are the specs on my computer:
Originally a Compaq Presario desktop

AMD Duron 900mHz CPU
370 MB of PC100 SDRAM - 3 slots with 128 MB each
Hard drive - Maxtor 20 GB D740X-6L
Some sort of network card with a blessed ethernet port - let's me run high speed DSL
CD/RW drive - on old one - I rarely use it

This computer is mainly used for surfing the internet and my boys playing games.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10. My system keeps it up just fine. I don't exactly max it out all that much. I ran the system monitor one day and looked at it closely as I did various commands. I found out that the CPU seems to be the holdup. Most of the tasks I did rarely maxed out the RAM, but the CPU hung at 100% for a bit after almost everything I did.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Sister, Daughter, Aunt, Friend, Artist and Athlete.